Friday, November 4, 2011

Harvest Season STILL Going...






Well, yesterday I spent the day canning tomatoes - I made marinara sauce and ketchup (thanks to my dear sister for the tomatoes - I've got some ketchup for you along with other goodies to pay you back!) I was worried for awhile because I hadn't restocked enough marinara sauce for the next year, and I am SO against buying it at the store now that I've had the good stuff from home. So, luckily, I was able to bottle a few more pints for storage.


I was excited to see my pile of produce to preserve dwindling down. My plums were steadily disappearing. My 100 pound pile of pomegranates were waiting patiently for their turn(we still have another pomegranate tree to pick after this batch, too). So, today, I thought I'd go ahead and start working on these chores...


Alas, it is never to work out the way I'd like. I spent the morning reorganizing the children's play/homeschool room. I'm almost done with it, and am super-excited with how it's coming together. As soon as Mountain Man got home, he got called to help with splitting some wood for some of the less fortunate in our ward. Then, he got to take a bunch home for our own preparations. Hopefully, we've gotten enough, but we'll see.

Then, we got word that we might be getting snow tonight. So, after dinner, we got geared up to go back outside to put away everything we could before the snow hit. We got into the orchard and decided to pick the rest of the apples in the trees. Now, before you say anything, we've been slowly working our way through the apple trees ever since they started ripening in late August. We've been eating our apple molasses muffins at least once a week, in addition to the apple desserts, sliced apples, and the apples we pick when we do our walk through every day. We've been eating a LOT of apples. Plus, our landlords have come to pick our apples a few times as well. So, when I went out a couple of weeks ago, I picked the rest of the apples in our Southwest orchard, and there wasn't that much left. Likewise in the North orchard. I thought it would be similar when we went out to the Southeast orchard today. We got out there tonight, and there were TONS to be picked!! We ended up with about 80 pounds worth, which was delightful! I took out all the bags and searched out the creme de la creme of the apples to save for eating throughout the winter (they'll stay in our cold storage room, aka the garage until we notice any critters getting to the food - hopefully by then, we'll have our second fridge). Now, we've got apples to make some applesauce and apple butter.


Just when you think you've gotten one chore done, two more are added to the list... I still love the farm life. Don't try and talk me out of it...I'm convinced that this is feeding my soul. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment